You know how sometimes people on your friend's list post about stuff going on in their life, and all of a sudden you think "Wait a minute? Since when are they working THERE? Since when are they dating HIM/HER? since when???" And then you wonder how you could have missed all that seemingly pretty standard information, but somehow you feel too ashamed to ask for clarification because it seems like info you *should* already know? It happens to all of us sometimes.
1. First Name: David. Please don't call me Dave, 'cos I don't like it. I especially don't like "Davey Wavey", which a work colleague called me in an email this week... *g*
2. Age: 38. But probably immature enough to be half that.
3. Location: Chelmsford, Essex.
4. Occupation: Database Administrator (actually, technically I'm "Knowledge Management System Administrator", but we don't actually have a Knowledge Management System yet...) for NHS Direct.
5. Partner(s): Sarah, aka huntingospray. I mention her a fair bit, 'cos quite frankly I am hugely in love with her and she makes me very happy.
6. Kids: None. Not sure if I ever will have any or not. I get quite broody, but since the birth of my nephew Jakob a couple of years ago I've realised the unpleasant side of child-rearing (all the yukky nappies, for a start...) and given that I've now got two nephews (well, Sarah's sister has had a son, which sort of counts as my nephew), and my sister has another child on the way, I'm sort of happy to enjoy the good moments with them and not go through the hassle of bringing a child of my own into the world. But that might change.
7. Brothers/Sisters: Three half-sisters, one (Antonia, Jakob's mother) by my mum and stepdad, and two (Emma and Jessica) by my dad and his wife.
8. Pets: None. I've always wanted cats, though. Hopefully Sarah can be persuaded.
9. List the 3-5 biggest things going on in your life:
- Wedding plans. Sarah and I have a date set - 19th September next year - but we've not done much yet except for booking the church (Chorleywood Free Church) and the reception venue (the Watermill in Hemel Hempstead). And vaguely thinking through what the order of service might look like, who should be on the guest list, and who we'd like to be ushers. Lots to do yet.
- Moving house. Well, Sarah's moving house (she's in the process of selling her house in Barking and moving to Letchworth Garden City). I'll be joining her a month or so before the wedding.
- Learning to drive. Something I've been putting off for quite some time, but Sarah gave me unlimited driving lessons as a Christmas present the other year. I'm making good progress, but I'm still a long way from taking my test.
- Fandom and geekiness. My social life basically involves lots of fellow fans and geeks, many whom I've met through LJ or conventions or both. I'm not terribly good at being sociable, but I do enjoy meeting folks and making new friends. I particularly enjoy slash fandom (and indeed slash itself), and am hoping/intending to make it along to Connotations this year.
- Depression. At least partly a result of my first marriage, which went horribly horribly wrong within a very short space of time and left me flailing quite badly. Currently on anti-depressants, which help to a certain extent, but occasionally I have some very bleak moments.
10. Where did you go to university and what did you study?: Roehampton, where I studied theology. Probably the happiest few years of my life, at least up until meeting Sarah. On the other hand, it was here where I met my ex, and although I have many happy memories of our time together, it all ended rather unpleasantly.
11. Parents: Two, one of each. They separated when I was v. young, and I grew up with my mum (Pamela) and stepdad (Malcolm). Meanwhile, my dad (Bill) married Joan. I still see my dad fairly often, although we're both lousy at keeping in touch. That's a disorganisation thing, though - we love each other.
12. Who are some of your closest friends? Sarah, obviously. Tim, my flatmate. Matt, a friend from university with whom I'm still in touch. There are some folks from LJ who are very special to me, but I'm not going to mention them by name because a.) some folks who I miss out might be narked, and b.) the people who I include might not think that I'm that special to them.
13. What are you looking forward to in the next year? Sarah moving into her new house. More Doctor Who, more fan geek-ups and conventions. Hopefully taking and passing my driving test. Getting closer to getting married. Hopefully getting the house I'm living in at the moment a bit tidier and organised (even if a lot of that will be by the process of moving stuff into Sarah's new house..!). Hopefully being happy.