I spent the first few days of the year being all tourist-y in Thailand.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I made any, so I didn't really have any problems keeping them.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes - thanks to Sarah's sister Clare and my sister Antonia I now have another nephew and a niece.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My stepdad's sister Penny.
5. What countries did you visit?
I started the year in Thailand, although I'd flown out there on December 27th of the previous year.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A wife. Roll on September 19th!
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
There aren't many stand-out dates, but Orbital (EasterCon) where I met up with Becky and Misha, made several new friends, and indeed met an old school friend, was a fun weekend. Also Connotations was enjoyable.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Can't really think of any.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Still haven't written my novel or got organised with cleaning and tidying the house.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Depression. Buggering up my ankle at the Meadowhall interchange on the way back from Becky's in September.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
At the moment again, nothing really stands out.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Sarah. Just because.
3. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Naming no names, but certain people confirmed my belief that some people just seem to delight in being unpleasant and cruel.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Stuffed if I know.
15. What are you really, really, really excited about?
Getting married next year. And hopefully going to Redemption with Sarah.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Despite my love of music, again nothing really stands out.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Probably a bit happier.
b) thinner or fatter? I suspect fatter, but I've not really measured or weighed myself in an age.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Tidying the house. Writing one of my novels. Spending more time with Sarah. Learning to program a computer. Saving money.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Getting personally affected by certain people's unpleasantness.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Christmas day will be at my mum and stepdad's, along with Sarah, Antonia & Richard, and Jakob & Eleni.
21. What was your favourite month of 2008?
October, strangely - despite it featuring some of the epic fail of people, it was also the month in which Eleni was born, and I realised that my family (in which category I also include Sarah) really are fantastic.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
No. I was already in love with Sarah.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
I want to say Doctor Who, but I've also been getting seriously addicted to Spooks and Merlin, and there's still a special place in my heart for Supernatural and Heroes
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't hate people.
26. What was the best book you read?
D'y'know, I'm not sure. I think possibly Death is Forever by John Gardner - one of the few Bond books which I was missing but managed to pick up for not terribly much through Amazon market place. It might not actually have been terribly fantastic in and of itself, but seemed so much better because I read it immediately after finishing Devil May Care, which was really dull as ditchwater.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
DIdn't really make any. I've been rather conservative in my musical listenings this year. Although it was fun transferring all my 7" vinyl collection to mp3. Reminded me how good My Cleopatra by the Flaming Mussolinis was.
28. What did you want and get?
Hasn't really been a wanting year.
29. What did you want and not get?
Ditto. I'm hoping that for birthday and Christmas I receive a few of the things on my Amazon wishlist, though.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I think Mamma Mia
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Ask me again in 17 days time. Well, actually, I know that I'll be spending it going to a HIGNFY recording, and I'll be 39.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Certain people not being rotten.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
34. What kept you sane?
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Despite her not being with us since 2001, Charlotte Coleman.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The American election (yay Barack Obama!) and Prop 8 (bad bad Californians...)
37. Who did you miss?
Nobody in particular.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
No one person in particular, but I met several wonderful new folks at Orbital and Connotations, as well as getting to know some of Becky's friends a bit better.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
That family and friends are really important.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Sorry, really really can't think of one. Although having realised that Mamma Mia was my favourite film of the year, it's sorely tempting to quote a couple of lines from Dancing Queen. But it would be a bit of a stretch to say that it summed up my year...