So...last night Sarah and I were having a chat about wedding music. Well, wedding reception music. Well, wedding reception disco music.
Music for the service itself is sorted (there will be some interesting surprises...). Also, there's a live band, Sax and Honey (or technically Sax & Honey's delegated replacements as they're double booked), playing at the reception, and they'll have the honour of doing "first dance" duties - a rather mellow version of L.O.V.E., followed by a set of jazz, rat pack, swing, rock & roll, etc.
For the disco, we've asked Pete, who runs the pop quiz Tim and I attend regularly, if he'll do the honours, and gladly he's able to. So we were going over some ideas for stuff that he could include.
Ideas we've come up with include:
- Something's gotten hold of my heart - Gene Pitney & Marc Almond (well, we could have the Pitney solo version, but as I knew this version first I find the original is lacking a bit... This could well be the first song in Pete's set, as Sarah and I could feasibly dance to it quite well)
- Singin' the blues - Guy Mitchell (mainly for my Gran, who loves Guy Mitchell)
- Star Trekkin' - The Firm (because I know we have a fair few sci-fi convention geeks)
- Doctorin' the TARDIS - The Time Lords (ditto)
- The Time Warp - Original RHPS version, accept no *cough Damian* substitutes (ditto)
- Always on my Mind (Extended Dance Version) - Pet Shop Boys (my wedding, we're darn well having some PSBs in there!)
- It’s a Sin (disco mix) - Pet Shop Boys (ditto)
- Temple of love (original extended version) - Sisters of mercy
- Flowers in our hair - All About Eve
- Our Summer - All About Eve
- [censored - don't want to spoil the surprise]
- Everything I do (I do it for you) - Bryan Adams (possibly a tad clichéd, but I rather like it as a song; could make a good last song?)
- Follow you, follow me - Genesis (Misha's suggestion for the first dance; that's out, but I like the song so it would be nice to include it)
- Christmas TV - Slow Club (because, seriously, anybody who's seen it used in the wedding episode of Chuck will know how gorgeous it is...and it beats getting Jeffster in to perform...)
Some Queen - dunno what, but I'd like something by them - maybe A Kind of Magic, One Vision, I Want it all? I'm thinking BoRhap is their most popular song, but not really disco material (mind you, is Christmas TV?). I quite like These are the days of our lives (that's "quite like" as in "love to bits"), but it's perhaps a tad melancholy for a wedding disco...
Something by Cliff Richard - we have at least two rather diehard Cliff fans in the gathering throng, and I don't actually mind the guy, so it would probably not be bad to include one of his songs. Something early. Would Bachelor Boy be gorgeously ironic, or totally inappropriate, or both???
Some Beatles. Again, don't know what, but personal favourites that might work are I wanna hold your hand, Eight days a week, Love me do, Can't buy me love - their early blatant unashamed pop phase. Has anyone got the new remastered CDs yet? I'm not a fan, but I'd quite like to get hold of Abbey Road just so I can have a copy of Maxwell's Silver Hammer. I'm not suggesting that for the disco, though...
Anybody got any other ideas?